Project Description

Fuel Assistance

Fuel Assistance, also called LIHEAP, is a federally funded program to help eligible low-income households pay a portion of their home heating bills. Fuel assistance benefits can only be used for fuel delivered to heat your home. LIHEAP will pay directly to your contracted vendor.

The WCAP fuel assistance office will begin taking appointments in late August/early September. Please call 1-800-498-3025 or 338-3025 to set up an appointment. The Energy Services office is located in the Belfast Center at 9 Field Street, Suite 203 in Belfast, Maine.

What is my eligibility based on?

  • Total gross income
  • Geographic area
  • Type of home
  • Household size
  • Fuel type (electricity, natural gas, heating oil, propane, wood)

When can I apply and what do I bring to my appointment?

Please note:  Due to COVID, applications are being taken over the phone.  When mailing/dropping off required documentation (e.g., income eligibility, paystubs, etc.) incomplete applications will delay receiving your energy services.

You need to make an appointment with the Outreach/Referral office and then fill out an application. You are responsible for bringing the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • Government issued photo I.D. (i.e. driver’s license, military I.D, etc.)
  • Social Security Card and birthdate for all household members
  • Gross income for each person (all sources)
  • Copy of electric bill
  • Copy of current signed lease or rental agreement
  • Name of oil company and account number

Emergency Fuel

Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP) eligible households may qualify for emergency assistance in the form of a payment to utility or fuel delivery companies if you have less than 1/8 of a tank of fuel or are in danger of having utility services disconnected when electricity is needed to operate your heating system. Contact the Fuel Assistance office at (207) 338-3025 or 1-800-498-3025 to request emergency fuel assistance or if you have any questions.

Electric Bill

The Electric Lifeline Program (LIAP/ELP) may be available to low-income households who receive residential electric service. The household must have qualified for fuel assistance within the current year and meet other eligibility criteria. Individuals residing in subsidized housing do not qualify. Benefit amounts will vary depending on the program being offered by the customers utility. Contact the Fuel Assistance office at (207) 338-3025 or 1-800-498-3025 to to sign up or if you have any questions.


CMP’s Arrears Management Program

This CMP program is designed to help customers reduce past-due balances. Individuals must go through HEAP and be referred to CMP/Versant and are only eligible if they qualify for HEAP.

For more information: 


Telephone Bill

The Telephone Lifeline Program (TLP) offers two options for applicants who are fuel assistance eligible within the current year to choose from. Only one option allowed per household.

What are my options?

Option #1 – Receive a monthly credit on basic landline telephone service or a telephone installation for $10.00
Option #2 – Receive a free Tracfone/Safelink with 250 minutes a month

Contact the Energy Services office at (207) 338-3025 or 1-800-498-3025 to to sign up or if you have any questions.